Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Update on Blog Status

Hey y'all,

Just thought I'd entertain you waste blog space by providing you all with an update of my whereabouts.

Essentially I've been lazy, but I feel as though I can round up a good amount of excuses to make it appear otherwise:

Excuse #1: It Rhymes with Tondominium

That's right! My roommate and I finally moved into my condo this past weekend. Much of my time has been devoted to attempting to assemble cheap furniture while suppressing my rage with copious amounts of alcohol.
I bought all this stuff at Ikea for $1.25. (Image Source)

Excuse #2: Slow Dancing with Dragons

I'm almost caught up with the A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). I'm borrowing the 5th book from a coworker, and I want to get it back to him as soon as possible. However, I'm an incredibly slow reader because I just learned to read last year. Therefore, the time I usually devote to blogging is focused on reading this gigantic book at the moment.

Video contains minor show spoilers up to Season 2.

Excuse #3: WIP It. WIP It Good.

I've been getting slight work down on my work in progress. I have a chapter done, and though it may suck and not make much sense, I'm sticking with it. Essentially, I'm going to be focusing on many characters in the first-person. Therefore, I'm having issues adjusting the narration to each character. Also, the novel will start a few decades into a war. Therefore, I'm having issues portraying a complex background in the first-person. If anyone has tips, throw them at my face or force them down my throat or maybe in my butt.
I should just stop now.
I don't think I can live up to these standards. (Image Source)

Anyway. that's all I could come up with during my lunch break. Though, I will have an actual post up relatively soon. It's in the works.

But, thought I'd inform y'all why I've been a piece of garbage lately. I'll return soon... and yes, I've said that same sentence 40 times before.

16 comments:

  1. Sometimes life gets in the way. I hope things settle down for you. Just remember that all of those parts aren't necessary when you assemble cheap furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have enough screws leftover to melt them down and erect a monumental statue of Paul Giamatti.

      Delete
  2. I learned to just quit giving excuses and ignore the blog altogether. Lazy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, writing up a half-assed post of excuses during my lunch break is teetering on the edge of absolute laziness. I may never recover from that fall.

      Delete
  3. Life's competing demands. I anticipate your next post with interest - I still smile about your child-entertainer, with the clown-outfit and toy gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a silly post. At least, I hope so. It'll likely be up by Monday.

      Delete
  4. I've realized that the blogging community is a ebb and flow type of community. As long as you don't stay gone forever, breaks, even long ones, are allowed :)

    Have fun in your new condo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only lost one follower and gained two in my absense. I must be doing something right.

      And, thanks, Kianwi! I'm beginning to enjoy being an adult, finally.

      Delete
  5. Like the changing of the tides and the movement of my bowels, Chiz shalt return to Chiz Chat once more. And thus, the peasants shall adopt the word "par-tay" as a verb by rejoicing heavily and heartily.

    Erm, I mean, I hope you return soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried writing something as poetic as your comment, but I soon realized I'd sound like one of those people who take something beautiful and run it through a provervial shredder. So, what I have to say you is simply: Thanks, Addman!

      Delete
  6. Here you go, as requested, a tip for your butt (just the tip):

    The easiest way to do a complex background in first person is to throw out hints here and there across the entire novel. Let the reader fill in the blanks. Maybe he sees something that reminds him of a particularly painful event in the past and has a quick thought about it. Also, you'd be surprised - one sentence can tell a LOT if you word it correctly, which is going to sound infinitely better than him going into some 5 page flashback sequence. Remember, you don't want the action to come to a screeching halt just because he decided he wants to think about his life story. In the middle of a war, that's not really a great idea (for him, or for the story).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ABftS! I knew you'd guys would come through for me.

      I've been trying to include some of the backgroud in passing dialogue (though, I only have one complete chapter finished). Do you guys think is matters how long down the line the reader picks up on background information (such as what started the war because it's pretty complicated)? I'm reading books on writing fiction, and although they're somwhat helpful, they're no good at assisting me in matters such as this.

      Delete
    2. In my humble opinion, I don't think it matters too much when you spill the beans about background information, or even the war in general. For example, war can break out for any reason, and war isn't really that atypical, so if we start the book and we're thrown right into the middle of a war, I don't expect you to tell me the full reasoning behind it on page one. Now you say it's complicated, so a fun way to tell that might be to have characters in the first few chapters make some comments on why THEY think the war started, which is probably a very simple reason and completely off base. Then, as the novel progresses, the reader slowly starts to find out what really happened. Maybe we don't find out what truly started the war until 2/3 in. This helps generate interest and also helps build suspense, a lot more than just starting page one with a huge infodump - "So, like, there's this war, and it started cuz this one guy didn't like this other guy, and he was supposed to marry the guy's sister but instead..." Snoozefest, right? Avoid that like the plague.

      Any other questions, I'm here. Now, back to our regularly scheduled jackassery...

      Delete
    3. Thanks, ABftS! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! There are definitely elements I can leave out altogether now thinking about it. I may need to rethink my first chapter a bit. It's not that I try to overload information, but it's heavy in unneeded dialogue at this point in time.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I suck at being a regular blogger too. Still, I won't feel bad about it if you don't. Anyway, I'm jealous. I've always wanted a bongoflinium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, as long as people stick around, I try to at least get a post up every once in a while. And, the tronofclingium is quite nice (according to my extremely low living standards).

      Delete