Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day And The Flower Giving Tradition

How have flowers become one of the hallmarks of Valentine's Day? Don't get me wrong, flowers are lovely and smell like every other plant, but it's February; flowers aren't able to naturally blossom in the dead of winter.This begs the question of what came first, Valentine's Day's appointed date or the tradition of buying flowers for your significant other? If it's the latter, then why not designate some date in Spring for Valentine's Day? That way we could actually traverse the wildness and put effort into creating an extravagant bouquet rather than rushing to the flower shop the day of and be overcharged for things that grow in our own yard just a few more months down the line.
These will make an excellent addition to the bouquet.
 I mean, I may just be looking for an excuse to venture through the woods alone in my backyard without my neighbor's suspecting some sort of foul play, but you can't argue that actually applying oneself to constructing an elaborate display of strategically arranged dead plants is more meaningful than simply buying some.
"Would you live to add a message for $42?"
I suppose I may just be ripping off the ol' "make a card of instead of buying one" rant, but that doesn't denounce the fact that I'm on to something. Sure, I may just be desperate for ways to cut spending on Valentine's Day in exchange for a little added effort, and sure, I may just be searching for excuses as to why I can't focus on more "important" issues and errands because I'd be busy frolicking through fields in search of pretty flowers. But, you know what? I have no idea where I'm going with this. It doesn't even apply to me since I'm getting an Edible Arrangement instead of flowers. Why must I feel so fervent about subjects that hold no bearing over me? Because I'm crazy, that's why! (Actually, I'd say it was more of an endurance test. How long could I ramble on about nothing?)

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's Day, and don't be one of those Debby Downers who complains about the imposed consumerism and commercialization of the "Hallmark Holiday." Put that subject on the back burner until next week.



Happy Valentine's Day!

25 comments:

  1. I don't think you need an excuse or anything to go frolicking through the woods though, it's just an awesome thing to do. Way more awesome than V-Day. I think the tradition of flowers being a symbol of love was prevalent before V-Day was and when v-Day became about showing affection, they kept up traditions that were already to do with it. Such as giving flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger, my neighbor's never gave a second thought about my frolics through the forest, but now, those nosy naysayers would probably call the cops on me if they saw me venturing back there by myself. Probably think I was hiding a body.

      Also, I listened to "A Dragon's Tale" on your podcast and it was absolutely fantastic! I'm so glad you did it!

      Delete
  2. Fine, I won't be a Debbie Downer. Ugh! ha ha ha

    I would much rather Edible Arrangements than chocolate any given day. Not because I care about my weight or any weird chick thing like that but because it tastes so much better. I got my hubby chocolate covered strawberries - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I got the Edible Arrangement AND the chocolates! Double the tooth decay! Also, the Edible Arrangement includes chocolate strawberries which is pretty exciting. Chocolate overkill.

      Delete
    2. Now that is awesome! Mmmm, now I want to dig into hubby's last strawberries...

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the edible arrangements. I heard that one time this guy ordered them and then got the ebola virus or aids or something. It's true! I read it on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, internet, the most reliable informational source available. I really hope that isn't true, though.

      Delete
  4. "I think it’s weird when you give someone flowers… you're basically saying here you go, now watch these die. I feel like you should give someone flowers if you want to threaten them. Here... you're next. Better put your feet in water cuz I’m coming for you.”

    -Demetri Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I remember that joke. Wish I had it in mind when I was writing the post!

      Delete
  5. I would just like to complain about the imposed consumerism and commercialization of the "Hallmark Holiday...or maybe not.

    I think I went to school with a Debbie Downer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a were-Debbie Downer. She only comes out dring full moons and moments of financial instability.

      Delete
  6. Okay...a couple observations if I might. 1) You have the potential of picking poison ivy as easy as something less toxic, 2) you are crazy, 3) not clear if you are giving or getting an edible arrangement...either you will get to eat some so it's only a matter of degree, 4) apparently you can go on quite a long time about nothing (thanks for the chance to doze as I blog read).

    Have a good V-Day!

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave the Edible Arrangement and some chocolates to my girlfriend. I could've went on longer, you're lucky I stopped when I did. You may never have woken up!

      And a Happy V-Day to you, as well!

      Delete
  7. An edible bouquet? Will you be my Valentine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I'll try to convince them to deliver overseas. Though, if they charge $50 for fruit on a stick, I can't imagine what the delivery fee will be.

      Delete
  8. Romance? Flowers? Valentine's day? This sounds like some strange alien language. I'm going now to look it up on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's some feminine alien tradition sent down to suppress the men of the world. It's a stressful time of the year. I suggest you leave yourself in the dark on this one.

      Delete
  9. I could actually picture you 'frolicking through fields in search of pretty flowers'. Thanks for that image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm certainly no stranger to doing so. I usually just disguise it as "walking the dog."

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I try. No, really, I do. I try so freakin' hard!

      Delete
  11. I think you make a valid point. Wouldn't it mean more if you gathered and arranged the flowers yourself? I think many a wallet would also agree!

    I also agree with ABFTS and my wife does too. I gave her flowers and she was like "Gee, thanks! Now I get to stick these in a vase and watch them die!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd actually be fun! You can set up a date with your friends to go gather flowers and bring a cooler full of beer. You could just get drunk and pick flowers and not feel weird about it.

      Delete
  12. You make an excellent point. We should give sno-cone flowers then of all different colors.

    found you through ABFTS.

    new folower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a pretty amazing idea. There was enough snow on the ground to do so. All I'd need it a dab of food coloring. I'll keep this in mind for next year! Thanks, Powdered Toast Man!

      Delete