Friday, August 24, 2012

The Bull and The Buffoon


Yet another submission to Dude Write: Flash Mob, but I assure you, this story is not depressing like my previous entry. Enjoy! (The word count is 500 words. I swear.)
______________________________________________________________________

Never one to turn down a dare, Billy bravely accepted the challenge that would result in his demise.

It all started during a brisk day in the isolated mountain town of Pinesbury. The circus was making its annual round to the desolate village, and the townsfolk couldn’t have been more restless. Everyone stood by as colorful, mechanical gadgetries were moved from the hissing train to the dusty town square.

Billy and his friends gawked at the foreign objects that flooded from the carts. Suddenly, a loud, violent grunt disrupted the boys’ gaze. They snapped to attention as a massive beast was guided from one of the distant carts, a big, brawny bull. 

Billy inquired to the others of the bull’s purpose. One of his friend’s spoke up, “It’s called bull riding, Billy. Ain’t you never heard of it?” With a shake of Billy’s head, the friend continued. “See that man dressed like a cowboy?” He pointed to a towering gentleman trailing the bull as if he were sizing him up. “His job is to straddle that bucking bull for as long as he can.”

“What’s so special ‘bout that?” Billy inquired.

 “You act like riding a two ton bull ain’t nothin’. Betcha you couldn’t last a second on that thing” his friend retorted.

“Oh, yeah?” Billy didn’t have to hear the words leave his friend’s mouth. He knew this was a dare. One he was willing to accept.

That night, Billy hatched a scheme that would guarantee a shot at riding that bull.
...
The following day, he began for the cowboy’s trailer. It was hard to keep his head still with all the colorful tents and electronic buzzes surrounding him, but if he was going to prove his friends wrong, he had to keep focused. A group of clowns snapped him out of his trance. If there was one thing he was petrified of, it was clowns. He raced by the terrifying freaks and reached his goal.

Before he entered the trailer, he studied the spiced rum he’d hid in his shirt pocket. Surely this would do the trick.
...
Moments later, Billy departed the trailer dressed from head to toe in cowboy apparel. It took the entire bottle of liquor to inebriate the cowboy past consciousness, but he’d done it.

Donning a handkerchief, he masked his identity as he coerced the circus staff to permit him to ride the bull.

Within moments, he was straddling the massive creature within the confines of the holding cage.

He heard the gun fire as the latch opened. The bull bucked with much more force than Billy had predicted, and in a second, he was in the dirt. Knowing that he was the bull’s primary target, he scurried to gain composure. When he finally did, he turned for the fence. However, waiting by the fence was his foremost fear, a rodeo clown, frantically waving toward Billy. Fright took hold of him as he stopped dead in his tracks, allowing the bull the upper hand.

26 comments:

  1. Great story. You don't leave room for a sequel, though. Love the way you put words together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Stephen! Yeah, I was worried about the ending, but since I stated that Billy died at the beginning, I was hoping people could just fill in the rest. The 500 word count really killed me.

      Delete
  2. You are quite the storyteller Mr Chiz and a master at unforgettable endings. Loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lily! I will report this comment to my tribe and hopefully seize the title of Master Storyteller.

      Delete
  3. Well done Chiz...hats off to you for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck! I was hoping I didn't have any embarassing word confusions like last time.

      Delete
  4. Great job Chiz. Slightly less depressing than last month, lol. Why they gotta die, Chiz? Why?

    WG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wily Guy! I don't know why I always have to make them die. Maybe I take on the challenge next time around, and try to have a happy ending for once.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, poor Billy...the moral is "turn down dares"? Or is it "talk to your shrink about that crippling fear of clowns"? Either way, neat post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the moral of the story is to never be a character named Billy in any of my stories because for some odd reason, Billy is always the unfortunate one in all the stories.

      Delete
    2. You know...now that I think about it, you may be onto something! I'll be writing a first-person narrated book starring a Billy now...

      Delete
    3. As long as you don't break the cycle and have him succeed at anything then it is premissible.

      Delete
  6. "Billy went down to Georgia, lookin' for a bull to ride." Sorry couldn't resist. :) Good luck!

    Michael A. Walker
    Defying Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! And, now I have that song stuck in my head, graaah!

      Delete
  7. Great story! Very well written. I like how he liquors himself up to get the courage to do it, invariably weakening his motor skills and any shot he had at walking away unscathed in the first place. Also, I just wanted to sound smart by using the word "invariably." Mission accomplished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Also, I must say that I am jealous of your ability to implement such an invariably intellegent word into your comment. Did I use the word in the proper context? Damn, I suck at this!

      Delete
  8. I thought you said this post would be less depressing? For one...the liquor is all gone, and that is tragic!

    For another, the clowns didn't get to have their way with billy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, with no one to drink the liquor is the liquor really gone... quantum physics. And, I was hoping to have enough words to incorporate the clown molestation scene, but there just wasn't enough space.

      Delete
    2. Never one to turn down a dare, Chiz revised his story to implement a clown raping into the 500 word post! lol

      Delete
    3. Perhaps I'll be able to implement the clown raping into next month's post.

      Delete
  9. Challenge accepted! Yeah, doing that usually doesn't end well at all. Yup, found myself depressed after reading your post. Is there something going on that I should know about. Chiz, I can help. Come to me and I'll comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally intended this to be funny, but quickly found it taking a turn for the worst. I'm not the greatest at writing comedic stories, so I usually try to stick with drama. Though, next flash fiction submission I'll attempt to have a story where no one dies. We'll seeee.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh! Done in by his fear of the clown :). This was too funny and you told it so well! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Kianwi! Though I don't personally have a fear of clowns, I know a few who would be done in by clowns should they be put in the same situation as Billy.

      Delete
  11. Getting drunk can make any dare seem simple.

    Well told, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Youngman! And I've performed some of my best stunts when I was drunk. My most recent was attempt was jumping a 2 foot fence and somehow cutting my arm.

      Delete