Sunday, March 11, 2012

Frightening Scenes in Children's Movies... That Probably Only Scared Me


For lack of time and chronic brain dead...ness over the past week. I've compiled a list of scenes in children's movies that scared the shit out of me when I was younger... when they probably shouldn't have. Anyway, here we go.

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure  – Large Marge

Alright, so what was the director thinking putting a scene like this in a children’s movie? I realize the whole movie is as disturbing as Hayden Christensen’s portrayal of Darth Vader, but this particular scene not only had the frightening claymation face freak-out, it also had the unsettling story to back it up.









Dumbo  –  Casey Jr.

This woman who lived in the apartment above us actually volunteered to remove this scene from the cassette because I was so horrified by it. As Casey Jr. struggles to top the mountain, he emits sounds of pain and anguish with influences from Satan himself. I loved talking trains when I was younger, but this train topped off my diaper real quick. Fast forward to 2:55.







Fievel Goes West  –  Commie Cats

Communists are scary enough, but put one of their faux fur hats on a cat-piranha hybrid, that’s a bona fide recipe for bedwetting. Unfortunately, I could not find a video clip on the commie cat onslaught at the beginning of the film, but take my word when I say that these cats were absolutely terrifying.  Their teeth were disproportional to their mouth, and their eyes were tiny depressions in their face. And, they had mustaches!



Pinnochio  –  Monstro the Whale

Granted I loved this scene as a child, I still can’t deny the fact that it caused heart palpitationsevery time I bore witness to it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cartoon character with such rampant rage as Monstro. This is without a doubt one of the creepiest chase scenes ever created. A monster whale with boulders for teeth having a bloodcurdling asthma attack as it tries to decimate poor Pinocchio and his sidekick, mustache Mitch.






The Neverending Story  –  Gmork, the Lord of Looming Suspense

Aside from the nightmarish dog dragon and the upsetting death of Artax, the scenes that caused me the most distress were those featuring Gmork the snaggle-toothed rapewolf. Despite his usual calmness and failure to keep up with anyone, there was always an aura about him that he would snap and go beast-mode on Bastian’s ass at any instant.








So, call me what you may. I found these scenes to be quite disturbing and detrimental to my health. I promise I'll provide some better blog posts this week. I'm just super busy with stuff.

P.S. I don't know what's the problem with the formatting of this post, it keeps getting fucked up for no reason. So, I'm just gonna leave it alone. I trust you guys to put the pieces together.

22 comments:

  1. HaHa! The Large Marge face is a trip! As for talking trains, you honestly have to think that the writer(s) were on 'shrooms or something.

    One scene that always scared the bejesus out of me was from 'The Wizard of Oz,' notably, when the Wicked Witch cackled and threw a fireball at the Scarecrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was another movies with several disturbing scenes in it. The tornado especially scared the dickens out of me.

      Delete
  2. It wasn't necessarily scary, but the one that haunted me was from Gremlins - when Phoebe Cates' character tells the story of her father (not) coming home for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the most horrifying Christmas story ever. It was a very eerie delivery to top it off.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I wasn't the only one petrified by those creepy cats in Fievel Goes West. Seriously, I was a little kid when I saw that movie, and that's probably the only part of the movie I remember after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that someone else beside e was terrified of the commie cats. And, the only 2 scenes I remember is the commie cats and the lazy eye part (which I thought was the funniest thing in the world).

      Delete
  4. I used to be scared of Ronald McDonald when I was about four. I used to have recurring nightmares about him coming up the stairs to my room. That probably explains why I don't really like McDonalds food. Or clowns. Or clowns who serve burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I was never scared of clowns. Probably because I was too busy being scared of everything else.

      Delete
  5. Commie Cats = Warped Cheshire Cat?

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it. The commie cats do seem to have influences from Cheshire Cat. If they had the ability to turn invisible, forget about it.

      Delete
  6. Haha you big baby! I've been getting my lil 7 year old sis to watch all the movies that scared me when I was a kid in an attempt to scare her, but she is too hard core and takes the piss lol! Have you seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Roger Rabbit? Took me years to watch some of the scenes in them two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but I did see Roger Rabbit when I was older (now one of my favorite movies). I can definitely imagine the shoe being dipped in the goo and Judge Doom's true form would've scared me to death.

      Delete
    2. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has the child catcher in it. Just saying it is scary! :)

      Delete
    3. Nice. I'll have to check it out. Disturbing children's movies are always interesting to watch. I recently watched All Dogs Go To Heaven and realized how inappropriate it was by today's standards (And people thought Puss in Boots wasn't suitable for children... sheesh).

      Delete
  7. This is a pretty great post! Really like your blog.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate the compliment!

      Delete
  8. Haha..Neverending story was sort of scary--and I was an adult watching it with my children! I just watched "Despicable Me" with my granddaughter, and I had to limit my amusement to quiet chuckles...but I can see how a child might be frightened. Same goes for "Rango"--even so, a wonderful movie.

    I found you through the A-Z linky list. Look forward to your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to see 'Despicable Me' and 'Rango'. I need to get around to that. I can see that the animation style for Rango can seem a bit disturbing from the previews.

      Also, I started a little bit of a Sci-Fi/Dystopian novel myself so I've started following your blog (partially the reason my blogs are lacking). I like the 6 sentence idea thing you got going on.

      Delete
  9. Now I know why I am so grounded...I never saw any of those movies. As a kid or otherwaise. Although I have Peewee's on DVD, just haven't watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky your mind has not been tragically warped by these not-so-scary scenes.

      Delete
  10. Large Marge scared me the most! But the second runner up was David Bowe in the Labrynth! His bulge gave me nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bulge was ruthless (which reminds me I got to check out the new Bibleman post since I can't watch videos at work). Ah! Such cruel ghosts come back to haunt me.

      Delete